Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Shoots: Amy

Amy is both an actress and a model (repped by Click). I first saw Amy in the film Garden State ; I had a friend at a big-shot talent agency who hooked me up with her acting manager; from there I cast her in my (bad-ass) short-film.... where the main-character kills her with a shovel.... but I digress.


We've since become great friends and she's one of the most genuine, sweetest people I've ever known. She also comes in handy when I want to get out and flex my camera-muscles with a professional model for the modest fee of a couple beers!


For this shoot, we headed up to Escondido Falls in Malibu. The annoying thing about this location is that you have to park, then hike a mile JUST to get to the trailhead... where you then hike about 1.8 miles to the falls. Upon a semi-trecharous, winded journey (hey, i ain't a teenager anymore!), we came upon a dismal sight: the waterfall was mostly dried-up! I had scouted the location over a month before and it was pretty impressive... but I guess with the onset of summer and the quickly changing temperatures of Los Angeles, the water level drops fairly rapidly. So, if you plan on checking out this location for shooting, I'd recommend going later in the year or in the spring.


However, the local was still completely salvageable, with plenty of choice settings along the trail. Shooting time was my normal 4pm-7pm slot for this time of year; any earlier in the mostly un-cloudy Los Angeles (smog doesn't count) would be far too bright for exteriors with no diffusion boards.


I've already posted my live-portrait of Amy from this day, and the photographs came out great as well! Big thanks to Amy for hiking all that way in the hot-sun without complaining and still managing to look great!!

No comments:

Post a Comment