Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Shoots: Kathy

I'm not sure if my soul was sold to the Devil without my knowledge... maybe I was drunk? Probably. But I am batting a cool 300 when it comes to working with sweet, easy-going models. I imagine a horrible diva is just around the corner, but in the case of Kathy, couldn't be a nicer gal. Yes, I say 'gal', because that's the perfect way to describe this Louisiana-born Korean/Caucasian portrait of beauty meets genuinity-- which, after checking, is apparently a word I just invented. No, wait-- Urban Dictionary has got it; why is this not a word? Webster's now recognizes 'google' as a verb... where's the love for genuinity?!?!


Anyway, with wardrobe on-loan from Kareena's Trends, I drug poor Kathy all across Malibu Creek State Park-- which is officially my new favorite location in the greater Los Angeles area, and apparently a well-kept secret, as on a Sunday summer afternoon, there was probably all of 12 people we came across. Most importantly, it's got golden-fields galore, which of course, is my favorite thing ever.


Kathy got her start in Maxim as one of their 'Home-Town Hottie' selections and has gone on to have a steady and successful modeling career. Kathy's portfolio is very versatile, from swim/glamour to high-commercial... but what she didn't really have was, well, exactly what I'm all about-- I really need to find a word for my style; maybe, "Shazoom!" No, that's terrible. "Pofow!"; "Kaplee!"; "Fadoo!"; (i'm not sure why I'm trying to make onimonipia fake-words).


Well, the point is, I did "my thing" with her and it resulted in some stunning images. I realize that might be a bit biased to say, as I was the photographer, but I default nearly all of the credit to Kathy. Not only does she look great, but she managed to pull it off while hoofing around the park for 5 hours in the sun. Bravo, kiddo.


And if you missed it, check out my live portrait of Kathy, too. Special thanks to Juliet Monroe of iCandy who provided amazing, natural make-up/look!

2 comments:

  1. curious george asks "are you using bounce fill in light" in your technique or are you keeping this simple and just getting metering right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hey-- I think you're the one who emailed me on MM? If not, let me know and I'll tell you. In short, "just metering"... but if needed, I'll explain my who hack-process ;-)

    ReplyDelete